Medical Ethics Online CME Courses
Release Date: November 1, 2017
Expiration Date: October 31, 2020
Medical ethics dilemmas continue to evolve as medical technology advances and spurs additional choices and conundrums in the practice of medicine. This CME online activity aims to provide health care professionals with a foundation in ethical theories and principles used in the practice of medicine. Such a foundation is needed in solving ongoing medical ethics dilemmas present with the care of patients. The online activity will utilize videos, readings, case scenarios, and short answer questions to optimize learning.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe the ethical principles used to resolve dilemmas for optimal care of patients.
- Explain the principles of autonomy, beneficence, and justice as it relates to the practice of medicine.
- Explain appropriate interactions between health care professionals and patients, e.g., truth telling, disclosure of errors.
- Define the current standards regarding professionalism in the practice of medicine.
The CME courses are designed for physicians in all specialties as well as nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and allied health professionals.
Registration Fees: Free to Members of the University of Medicine Community until December 31, 2017.
The University of Maryland School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Maryland School of Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
To Obtain CME Credits:
To obtain credit, please review the following information.
- Each module should take approximately 1 hour (equals 1.0 CME Credit) to complete.
- You must attest to having watched all videos and completed all of the readings in the module.
- You must achieve the passing grade for each Lesson activity, which will be indicated in each module.
- You must achieve the designated passing grade on any CME Quizes.
- You must complete the CME Feedback Survey.
- Once you attest to completing the entire online activity, have achieved the designated passing scores, and have completed the Feedback survey, you will be able to print-out and download a computer generated CME certificate.
Author, Reviewers, and Planners' Disclosure Information:
The individuals listed below have disclosed no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests:
- Henry Silverman, MD (Author, planner)
- David Harness, MDiv, BCC (Reviewer)
- Ali Tabatabai (Reviewer)
- Computer with Internet connection
- Current version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari browser